So, how to name your dog. We get to meet a lot of lovely dogs at The Country Dog Hotel. What always interests us is to find out how you came to name your dog. You may have changed ideas on a daily basis or knew exactly what to call your pooch on day 1.
Most dog owners put a lot of thought into naming their new puppy or dog. A name can show traits of your personality, sense of humour as well as the dogs looks or character. One crucial thing is to think about how you will feel when calling your dog out in the park.
My web designer recently told me he always remembers playing football in the park and hearing someone shouting “Steve, come here Steve”, yes, a black Labrador went bounding up to him. As much as it initially made him laugh he thought that’s great that someone is confident enough to call a dog Steve!! How to name your dog the easy way – what are popular names?
Top Male Dog Names in 2017
Top Female Dog Names in 2017
I guess when naming a dog you also have to consider what breed or what gender it is. A cockapoo may require a different name to a Dalmatian or Newfoundland.
Ideas how to name your dog?
- A name from your childhood memories. Books you read, street names and other ideas
- Old peoples name – Albert, Seymour, Walter
- Colours or looks – Caramel, Chestnut, Snow, stripes, spots, special markings.
- Favourite places – Names that remind you of a country or place like Murphy or Pierre
- Favourite food – Biscuit, Bacon, Peaches, Bagel – can you imagine saying these around the park?
- Personality like Skip, happy, snuggles or snoozy
What’s yours called?
We’d love to hear how you came up with your dogs name. Comment below or take a look at some of our guests names